Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Carnitas!

I have never actually disassembled an entire shoulder of pork. But let me tell you, it was well worth it. Thanks to Elise at Simply Recipes I discovered an easy and satisfying recipe for enough carnitas to feed my husband and I for 4 days.

Ingredients

4 lbs Pork shoulder, cubed (remove bone and as much fat as possible)
4 cups beef broth
2 cups chunky tomato salsa
water
salt

Place the cubed pork, beef broth, and salsa together in a medium saucepan (8 quarts worked for me). Add enough water to cover meat. Turn heat to medium high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours or more depending on how long it takes for the meat to be pulled apart easily. Add a dash of salt if necessary after tasting.

I prefer my carnitas a little more tender so I usually skip this step. But if you like em brown and crispy, go for it!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Strain liquid from meat (it can now be discarded or saved if there is something else you plan to use it for). Pull meat apart using whatever means work best (I use two forks). Spread meat in a baking pan and roast for 15 minutes or until brown and crispy.

Warm up some corn tortillas, make some salsa, chop the cilantro, squeeze a lime and it is time to eat!

Note: Traditionally this dish is made with pork but it can also be made with beef chuck. One can also slow cook their carnitas in lard, as this was how they were originally made. Check out BBQJunkies blog to see a rendition of this method.

0 comments:

Post a Comment