Friday, January 22, 2010

Puffy Oven Pancake

In our lonely and barren youth in the cold world of college, my roommate Tiffany and I made comfort food, it always involved eggs and butter and the oven. She introduced me to the Puffy German Pancake (it has other names, Puffy Oven Pancake being one). I still bake it occasionally as comfort food. Now that I'm in my studio, however, I make it more so that I'll have an excuse to turn my oven on and heat up at least ONE room.

Here's what the puffy pancakes tend to look like, redolent in puffiness and fluffiness and usually exploding out of the pan.



I hunted around on the internet, and it's not just me afflicted with enormous, misshapen pancakes. However some people have these lovely, perfectly-puffed things that they can cut into like a pie or a quiche. I hate those people.

Anyway. Here's how to make it. It's very simple.

You will need:

2 tbsp. butter
2 eggs
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/4 tsp. salt

Oven, 400 degrees.

Mix the eggs, milk, flour, and salt together in a bowl.

Melt the butter in a pie pan once the oven has hit 400 degrees. Tilt the pan around a few times to make sure the melted butter is evenly distributed then pour the mixture into the pie pan.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes. Usually 25 is enough unless your oven is stupid.

When it's done, you can sprinkle powdered sugar along the cavernous interior. I usually do that, but now I'm wondering with the way mine turn out if you couldn't just use the whole thing as a shell and heap sausage and eggs and herbs inside. That might be good.

It feeds as many people as you want it to feed (two people definitely), but it will probably not supply an army. Four people at the most maybe? I don't really know. I can usually eat one by myself over the course of a morning, but I have a bottomless stomach so I'm special that way.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Yes!

K. A. Mohr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

We call these Dutch Babies at our house and they're always requested for birthday breakfasts :)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment