Sunday, February 14, 2010

Camp Denali Chicken Curry


This is a fun and totally American-style curry. It doesn't pretend to be an Indian curry at all. It works like a salad bar, where people load up with rice, curried chicken, and an assortment of toppings. Great for a large group. I haven't tried this, but I think tofu could easily be subbed in for the chicken.

The recipe is from my friend Wendy White, cook at Suttle Lake United Methodist Camp in Sisters OR. Wendy had worked in the past for Camp Denali up in Alaska; I believe this recipe is in the Denali cookbook "A Cache of Recipes."

Camp Denali Chicken Curry (makes 4-6 servings)

Saute in cookpot:

3 Tb butter
1/4 c minced onion
2 tsp curry powder

Blend in:

3 Tb flour
3/4 t salt
3/4 t sugar
1/2 t ginger

Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in:

1 c chicken broth (can be made with bouillon)
1 c milk
1 apple, peeled and chopped

Cover and simmer on low 5 minutes. Then add:

2 c cooked diced chicken
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Heat through. Serve with white or brown rice on the side, and bowls of assorted toppings, including:

shredded dried coconut
cashews or peanuts
raisins
sliced green onions
chopped fresh tomatoes

Grizzly photo by my friend James Hiebert, taken at Halo Bay, Kodiak Island, Alaska.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love this idea, an American curry, that isn't tryint to be completely faithful to the original. It looks delicious and great for groups!

Susan-M- said...

Ok, last night I tried the recipe with tofu and it's great. I added 1/2 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp powdered garlic to the spice mix, and used veggie broth. I also cooked the tofu separately and added it at the end. I realized the result is similar to the chicken korma (dairy-based sauce) that I got the other week at an Indian restaurant.

K. A. Mohr said...

num num num. I might have to try this one in the next week.

Post a Comment