Tuesday, February 2, 2010

T.L.C. Chicken Soup

To begin with, I have to say that this is a recipe from my Mom. Yay Mom!

There is not a lot to say about this soup other than that it is one of my all time favorites. Admittedly, I am partial due to reasons of childhood nostalgia. However, I have heard claims of deliciousness from just about anyone who has tried it. It is also filling and inexpensive so you can't go wrong.

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, cut up, with skin removed
3-4 medium onions, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
8 cloves of garlic, minced
8 cups of water
2 cups of brown rice or quinoa
2 tbs parsley, minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp tamari

Directions:

Place the chicken pieces, onions, carrots, garlic and water in a large kettle (I use a 6 quart pot). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.

After 50 minutes, add the rice parsley, and cayenne. Simmer an additional 30-40 minutes, until rice (or quinoa) is cooked. Stir in tamari at the end of cooking.

To prepare for serving, allow the soup to cool somewhat, then remove the bones from the chicken, returning the chicken meat to the soup. Reheat soup before serving. Makes about 10 cups with bones removed.


Mmm mmm good. I hope you all enjoy!

3 comments:

Susan-M- said...

This looks yummy with the tamari adding an interesting dimension. I hope to try it soon.

Susan-M- said...

Ok, I made this yesterday. It's yummy, and the real deal! I used pearled barley because I had some around, and it promptly soaked up most of the liquid. I wonder if the original rice or quinoa would be less expansive than barley. I used a tiny 2.5 lb chicken which was the perfect size for me. :) I separated the chicken meat once the chicken was cooked, but before adding the veggies so they wouldn't get in the way. I couldn't taste the soy sauce except as a nice salt note.

K. A. Mohr said...

Yeah, I forget to add the soy sauce sometimes. I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. I definitely find myself needing to add a bit of salt when I leave it out though. I am glad you liked it!

Post a Comment