Monday, March 8, 2010

Lentil Loaf


Please excuse the less than appetizing photo up there, it's pretty hard to make Lentil Loaf look as good as it tastes. But believe me, it is good. It's a favorite poverty meal around our house.

Versatile, easy, pennies and dimes cheap, though it's definitely not fancy like Bon Appetit, it ranks right up there with nutritional yeast popcorn and Annie's Mac 'n Cheese in terms of comfort food. Oh, and it's good for you.

Lentil Loaf

2 C cooked red lentils
1 C uncooked rice, millet, bulgar, or oats
1 C grated cheese, any kind
1/2 C barbeque sauce, tomato sauce, or salsa
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C cilantro, scallions, chives or parsley chopped
2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into oiled loaf pan or casserole dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. Let cool for 5 min. before serving.

We spoon fresh salsa over the top, or greek yogurt (sometimes mixed with lemon or cumin). We like it hot out of the oven or cold the next day.

2 comments:

K. A. Mohr said...

Wow, I am going to have to try this too!

By the way. I finally got around to making bean cakes this week and LOVED them. I think they are going to become staple food at my house. Thanks again for the recipe : )

Susan-M- said...

I like our focus on legumes; they are my main protein along with yogurt and cheese. I rocked it with some vegetarian chili today. Once that's finished with, lentil loaf sounds like fun!

Post a Comment